Welcome to Rainbow Space: A Safe, Supportive Place for LGBTQ+ Youth in Montrose
So, you’ve been hearing around town about this Rainbow Space, but you find yourself thinking, “What in the world is that?” Rainbow Space is a safe zone for LGBTQ+ youth in middle and high school to hang out and support one another. It is hosted at the Youth Access Center (YAC) every Wednesday from 4pm-6pm. Our mission is to offer a safe, nonjudgmental, and visible space for LGBTQ+ youth, families, and allies in our community.
Each week, we provide a place for teens to come together with like-minded others for fun, food, games, support, community guest presentations, and more! At Rainbow Space, teens can find a supportive adult to talk to, learn more about LGBTQ+ topics in a friendly environment, and find ways to deal with the stress of being a teenager.
Now you find yourself thinking, “Does Montrose need this? Here? Really?”
The answer to this is yes, and here’s why. Research shows that when LGBTQ+ teens form a relationship with a supportive adult, their risk of suicide drops from 57% to 4%. Further, their reported life-satisfaction increases from 33% to 72%. But those are just a bunch of numbers. What are teens themselves saying about Rainbow Space? Check out what they think in their own words:
- “This is my favorite part of the week; I look forward to every Wednesday so I can come here.”
- “Before Rainbow Space, I had never been around other LGBTQ people my age.”
- “I was nervous to come because I am very anxious around new people, but everyone here is so welcoming and supportive, I feel like I have already made new friends.”
- “I feel safe and supported here.”
- “I don’t have any friends.” — “I don’t ever want to hear you say that again, you have friends now, and it’s all of us.”
So yes, Rainbow Space is important. It is helping teens to stay alive, to feel connected and supported. Now that you’re on board, how can you help support Rainbow Space?
- Attend – If you are a middle schooler or high schooler in Montrose or the surrounding area, come out and join us. We meet every Wednesday from 4pm-6pm at the Youth Access Center (YAC, inside of CASA) at 147 N. Townsend Ave., Montrose.
- Promote – Tell your friends, your kids, your kid’s friends: we want everyone in town to know about us!
- Follow Us Online – We are on social media! Be sure to “like” and “follow” our pages on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat for the latest info.
- Volunteer – We are always accepting new adult mentors. Please reach out to us at RainbowSpaceMontrose@Outlook.com to find out more about our volunteer process.
- Donate – We are always accepting financial donations to support our group. If money isn’t your thing, we also accept donations of hot meals to be served at our community dinner. Please reach out to us at RainbowSpaceMontrose@Outlook.com if you would like to donate.